What is newborn photography?
There’s something magical about babies when they’re fresh out of the womb. They’re just so new… like the perfect Christmas gift that you can’t believe you found under the tree. I think that newness deserves to be captured in a way that showcases how special they are. That’s what newborn photography is to me – simple, posed portraits that capture your baby’s unique beauty and freshness.
How soon should we schedule a newborn session?
Because that freshness only lasts for a little while, it’s so important to schedule your shoot as soon as possible. I recommend that newborns be photographed within two weeks of their birth. I realize that can be difficult, but it is so worth it!
Having a newborn is more hectic than we expected… How do you work around that?
Having done it twice, I understand first-hand what it’s like to welcome a baby into your life. I know that the magic is just one part of it all. And by “it all”, I mean the craziness – the semi-sleepless, did I shower today, forgot to run the dishwasher, holy goodness that’s a lot of diapers, but it’s all worth it… craziness that comes with bringing a baby home. Because I understand, I’m super flexible when it comes to taking breaks. If your little one needs to eat, no problem! If he or she get’s upset, we’ll take a break to soothe them. I’m also more than happy to ignore that pile of laundry that you haven’t gotten to yet. Trust me, I’ve been there, too!
· · · · ·
How do we choose a location?
Picking a location for your child’s photo session is so important! You’ll want to choose a place where they will be comfortable enough to play, laugh, smile, and be themselves. For most kids, the best place to do that is at a park or in their own home or backyard. If your kids are at ease, that means happy, expressive pictures and a good location can really help with that! A good location also means available, natural light. It’s been my experience that kids are the most authentic when they are able to just play. Choosing a place with good natural light gives me the freedom to follow your child around as they play without bringing any lighting equipment along.
What should we wear and/or bring?
So often I’m asked about the best things to wear or bring to a session. Here’s my best advice:
· Vibrant colors and textures are always good!
· Make sure your kids are comfortable.
· For family sessions, I suggest choosing a unique look for each family member. If you feel strongly about keeping things cohesive, it’s a good idea to choose a color theme (cool colors, blues and browns, fall colors, etc.) instead of having everyone match exactly.
· Props can be a great idea! Simple things like blankets, books, or balloons can keep your kids attentive and expressive.
· It’s always smart to bring snacks to keep the kids happy, but try to choose foods and/or drinks that won’t get stuck in or stain your kids’ teeth.
· Feel free to bring pets if you’d like, but make sure you plan for photos with and without them! It can be a good idea to bring an extra person along to handle the pet or take it home when we’re finished with the photos that include them.
If we book a portrait session for our child/children, can we take one or two family shots?
No problem! Although the purpose of a baby or toddler session is to capture your child, I completely understand if you want to take a family portrait or two.
If we book a family session, does that mean we won’t have any of just our kids?
Of course not. A family session does center around getting great photos of your whole family, but we’ll make sure to get some of just the kids, too – together and individually!
We definitely want to book you! What’s the next step?
Fantastic! I’m excited to work with you! After we work out the details (date, time, type of session, etc.), I’ll send you an online agreement via email. To officially book your session or event, you’ll need to confirm the agreement online and pay a $50 deposit. Payments can be made either online or via check. Your remaining balance will be due 3 days before your session or event. Please address checks to Annie Varland | 2329 Sunflower Ct. Hebron, KY 41048.